A scooper friend of Joblo has already seen an early screening of the film. Here are his initial thoughts which he provided in bullet notes:
“- Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action.
- It’s the best movie of the year.
- There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.
- The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.
- They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.
- It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.
- The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place”
Many have presented the upcoming superman reboot as a product of Christopher Nolan so I’m glad this scooper gave props to Zack Snyder upfront. While it’s great what Nolan did with the Batman franchise, the media hasn’t given enough acclaim to the actual director, Snyder. This is the same guy who made 300 and Watchmen. Granted, the latest trailer reminds me more of his 2004 revival of Dawn of the Dead.
The cinematography is shaky and looks has a more natural look compared to 300 and Watchmen which were glossier with darker lighting. The trailer doesn’t give away a lot of the action scenes as the scooper suggested, but if is indeed a: “Nolan film with Snyder effects and action”, then it should have Snyder’s trademark speed-up, slow-down action style.
The scooper says that the film isn’t “as serious as the trailer suggests”. Does this mean Christopher Meloni will provide comic relief as Colonel Hardy? Or will it be Laurence Fishbourne as The Daily Planet Editor? Perhaps the story will have situational humor involving Henry Cavill (Superman) sprinkled throughout, similar to Chris Hemsworth’s role in Thor.
I still crack up when I remember Hemsworth smashing the coffee mug on the floor and yelling, “I’ll have another!”